What Destroyed This Game

78 replies to this topic

#1 Kalderyn

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:21 AM

It's not single player.

You don't have your own epic adventure of choosing or founding a corporation, having a non-linear global map like in Dark Crusade with quests and subquests and branching story and characters.

You don't have progression and personality of any kind.

Instead, you have sterile, contextless, storyless matches where it is completely irrelevant if you "die".

Multiplayer - the bane of the gaming industry.

Also, this game uses Cryengine 3 but for some bizarre reason it has Playstation 3 graphics.

Edited by Kalderyn, 26 July 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#2 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

View PostKalderyn, on 26 July 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

Instead, you have sterile, contextless, storyless matches where it is completely irrelevant if you "die".

Only if you do not have a personality of your own and you do not improve as a pilot with experience (real experience not just some numbers in game).

Mechwarrior: Online so the multiplayer shouldn't really surprise you and if you feel like it ruins the game then clearly you were never meant to play this anyway.

edit. It would be cool to have single player too but the game is clearly meant to be a multiplayer game so it should come first.

Edited by VompoVompatti, 26 July 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:04 AM

while I agree that MWO would be better with a single player campaign, it is still a highly enjoyable game, if you do not like multiplayer then this game is clearly not for you, but nothing has destroyed it.

edit: I have reported this and requested it be moved to general discussion or off topic because it certainly does not belong in New Player Help

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 26 July 2015 - 11:06 AM.

#4 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:07 AM

Moving to General Discussion.

#5 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

Yes, many wanted MechWarrior 5 but we got MWO instead. Men have been able to cope with situation and soldier on.

#6 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

I've suspected for a long time that a significant number of MWO players, probably a majority, are here only for the "Mechwarrior" and only very grudgingly tolerate the "Online" part. Sounds like the OP is one of these. It's 100% legit to be disappointed that we don't have an up-to-date good quality single player Battletech game.

#7 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

It's not single player.

How often does it have to be said that no one wanted to financially back such a game? Get over it, please, unless of course you have the money to personally back such a project.

#8 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

Clans destroyed the game.
Damn clans. THEY RUIN EVERYTHING

*Wanders away while convulsing in pure anger*

#9 ilikerice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

The community

#10 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

Tryhards killed this game.

#11 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

View Postilikerice, on 26 July 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

The community

Calling bollocks on that.
There are much worse communities, in much more popular games.

I'd say that MWO community is quite the pleasant one, in comparison.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 26 July 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#12 BigJim

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

I felt the same way back in the 90's when I read in PC gamer that the next Quake game was gonna be (gasp!) online only, and multiplayer only.
Stupid idea, I thought. It'll never catch on...

Edited by BigJim, 26 July 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#13 ilikerice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 26 July 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

Calling bollocks on that.
There are much worse communities, in much more popular games.

I'd say that MWO community is quite the pleasant one, in comparison.

I'm not talking about in game, I'm talking about all the people who consistently complain about this and about that and can't just play the game.

This mech sucks, ECM is easy mode, I died by LRMS once it's overpowered. The constant complaining is ridiculous.

I HATE going into the forums and having almost the entire first page being complaints of people trying to change the game so it works for them.

In game I have no issues, it's the out of game community that thinks they are part of the design team making this game.

#14 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

Destroyed? No the game's fine, not perfect but I enjoy it.

I'd love a single player campaign though.

#15 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

View Postilikerice, on 26 July 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

I'm not talking about in game, I'm talking about all the people who consistently complain about this and about that and can't just play the game.

This mech sucks, ECM is easy mode, I died by LRMS once it's overpowered. The constant complaining is ridiculous.

I HATE going into the forums and having almost the entire first page being complaints of people trying to change the game so it works for them.

In game I have no issues, it's the out of game community that thinks they are part of the design team making this game.

Well, as a person, who complains a lot. (But i mostly complain about aesthetics, like 2d-3d translations, mech proportions, dynamic hardpoint geometry, etc), i wouldn't say that it KILLS the game.
I mean, it's nice to have a place, like this forum, where you can just spill your guts, just let it all out and discuss it with other people.

And i do believe that our complaining, (i'd prefer to call it "feedback", thank you very much) matters. The game is not perfect and neither are the solutions we propose here on the forums, but it's still ideas, thoughts, brainstorming and who knows? Maybe PGI reads through our Eldritch nonsense and gets some ideas on how to make the game better for everyone.
Like for example, take the new Dynamic mech portraits, we saw on instagram. They're almost exactly like MoonUnitBeta had suggested in the Feature Suggestion forum and i don't think it's just a coincidence (heck ,the mechs are even turned to the same direction as in the MoonUnitBeta's mockups of the system)

Maybe i'm just being optimistic, but i want to believe that we, players, MATTER.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 26 July 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#16 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

This game was destroyed? When did this happen? Man, that's disappointing. I was having so much fun.

#17 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

The game was destroyed? Dammit, I go to sleep for a few hours and look what happens.

#18 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

It's not single player.

You don't have your own epic adventure of choosing or founding a corporation, having a non-linear global map like in Dark Crusade with quests and subquests and branching story and characters.

Multiplayer - the bane of the gaming industry.

Also, this game uses Cryengine 3 but for some bizarre reason it has Playstation 3 graphics.

Yeah single player would be great, but at the same time without multiplayer it would be relegated to the 'wait for half off or better sale' category.

The graphics level are because they're pandering to the dregs of gaming who try playing everything on 10 year old laptops and general laziness.

#19 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

I think more immersion would go a long way towards making this a much better game. That's a big part of why I made the thread in my signature.

#20 ilikerice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 26 July 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Well, as a person, who complains a lot. (But i mostly complain about aesthetics, like 2d-3d translations, mech proportions, dynamic hardpoint geometry, etc), i wouldn't say that it KILLS the game.
I mean, it's nice to have a place, like this forum, where you can just spill your guts, just let it all out and discuss it with other people.

And i do believe that our complaining, (i'd prefer to call it "feedback", thank you very much) matters. The game is not perfect and neither are the solutions we propose here on the forums, but it's still ideas, thoughts, brainstorming and who knows? Maybe PGI reads through our Eldritch nonsense and gets some ideas on how to make the game better for everyone.

Maybe i'm just being optimistic, but i want to believe that we, players, MATTER.

Constructive feedback sure, but I would say that more than 75% would be more leaning towards complaints.

And yes, I agree 100% that we as players MATTER, but that doesn't mean we have to act ENTITLED, like spoiled children throwing a tantrum until we get our way.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by ilikerice, 26 July 2015 - 11:48 AM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users